Deepak Ohri, founder and CEO of lebua Hotels and Resorts, is well-known worldwide as an award-winning entrepreneur who has transformed the luxury hospitality landscape in Asia. Deepak Ohri is a visionary who elevated experiential luxury hospitality worldwide. He was the first to create the world's highest rooftop restaurant that has earned two 2 Michelin stars and the first to develop the concept of a vertical destination. Central to Deepak's success is his unique vision of hospitality. He believes that the focus of hospitality should be on creating lasting emotional connections for guests – his initial vision for lebua – which has become an industry-wide trend. He has launched dozens of successful restaurants and bars and is credited with elevating luxury hospitality in the Asian Pacific region. He created groundbreaking and revolutionary luxury-based F&B concepts with his extensive experience in hospitality and service process innovation. Under Deepak's leadership, lebua has been named the World's Leading All-Suite Hotel by World Travel Award and is rated within the top 1 percent of companies globally for customer satisfaction. International Hospitality Institute selected Deepak Ohri as one of the Global Top Most Inspirational Executives in Travel and Hospitality.
Deepak Ohri has lectured at leading business and management schools as a recognized expert in leadership and luxury hospitality, including the prestigious Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) & ISB Hyderabad, INSEAD, Columbia University, NYU Stern Business School, MIT, and Harvard Business School. In October 2021, Deepak was appointed Executive in Residence in Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the Pino Global Entrepreneurship Center at the College of Business at Florida International University. He also serves as a Chairman of the Executive Board. In March 2022, Deepak co-designed and co-created the Luxury Incubator MBA course. This world-class course in luxury management and marketing is the first of its kind to be offered at the Graduate School of Business at Florida International University. In April 2022, Deepak joined the Advisory Board for the Center for International Business Education and Research (FIU CIBER), one of 15 CIBER centers throughout the US administered by the US Department of Education to promote US Competitiveness in International Business.
In May 2022, Deepak Ohri became an Advisory Board Member for the World Happiness Foundation (WHF), where with a selected panel of experts, he provides strategic vision and guidance. As a result of his involvement in the WHF, Deepak created a Happiness Office at lebua Hotels and Resorts, assuming additional responsibilities as a Chief Happiness Officer (CHO); he emphasizes employee happiness leads to customer happiness, a breakthrough concept in the hospitality management.
Deepak Ohri is an author of a book: “A Bridge Not Too Far: Where Creativity Meets Innovation,” in which he demonstrates through his journey the importance of focus, self-respect, and strategic thought process. Deepak determines that no matter where one started from, success and achievement are attainable. Deepak’s story highlights the pressures of a competitive service industry and how one needs to think ahead to survive and thrive. Through his experiences, he shares his inspiration to reach for the stars and cross the bridge not too far. The book is adopted as instruction material for the college-level courses in management and marketing.
Deepak’s leadership and management skills are recognized and emphasized in the case study designed for management and marketing graduate students: “Lebua: Post-Pandemic Dilemmas of a Thai Luxury Hotel”. The case study is ready to be released by Ivey Publishing.
Deepak Ohri has been recognized globally as an award-winning entrepreneur and celebrated speaker. He was invited to participate in the prestigious Forbes Global CEO conference both in 2008 and 2009. Deepak was a guest speaker at many prestigious events, including the Cityscape Asia Conference in Singapore, the Worldwide TRI*M Conference organized by TNS in New York, The Financial Times Business of Luxury Summit in Los Angeles, Emerging Markets Conference (REFEM) in New York, the WTTC 9th Global Travel and Tourism Summit in Brazil, Financial Times Business of Luxury Summit in Switzerland, World Travel and Tourism Council in Japan and Macau and the Tourism Forum in China, among others.
Awards and Recognitions
- International Hospitality Council in association with the International Institute of Hotel Management - Lifetime Achievement Award
- International Hospitality Institute- Global Top Most Inspirational Executives in Travel and Hospitality 2021
- World Travel Awards - World’s Leading Travel Personality 2019
- Asia’s Greatest Brands & Leaders 2018 – Global Asian of the Year 2018
- Brand Vision Award 2018 - The Extraordinaire Award
- The Stars of the Industry Group 2013 – THOUGHT LEADERS AWARD for Innovation in inHospitality
- The Indira Group of Institutes, India 2012 – The Achievers and Leaders Award, CMO Asia & Asian Confederation of Business
- The Hospitality Asia Platinum Awards for 2011– 2013: The Best in Asia Entrepreneur of The Year Award
- The Hospitality Asia Platinum Awards for 2008 – 2010: Most Enterprising Entrepreneur Award
- Art of Travel the Ultimate Luxury Travel Book, Netherlands 2007/2008 – Entrepreneur of The Year Quality Award
Notable Speaking Engagements
- INSEAD Business School, Paris
- Harvard Kennedy School, US
- Harvard Business School, US
- New York Times International Luxury Conference
- World Travel and Tourism Council, Brazil
- World Travel and Tourism Council, Thailand
- World Travel and Tourism Council, Spain
- World Travel and Tourism Council, Japan
- Entrepreneurial Summit of IIM Bangalore, India
- India Conference, Harvard
- India Conference, Columbia Business School
- INSEAD Global Luxury Forum, Switzerland
- Global Tourism Economy Forum, China
- The Economy Hotels World Asia Conference, Singapore
- Real Estate Funds and Emerging Markets Conference, NYC
- The Financial Times Business of Luxury Summit, LA
- Worldwide TRI*M Conference, New York
- Forbes Global CEO Conference, Singapore
- Cityscape Conference, Singapore
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Florida International University
- Bloomberg High Flyers with Deepak Ohri
- Koktail Conversations with Nigel Oakins Episode 2 Deepak Ohri, CEO of Lebua Hotels
- BBC The CEO EDIT with Deepak Ohri
- CNBC - Deepak Ohri on TOURISM IN THAILAND